Friday, February 18, 2011

Japanese recipe: Braised pork with red wine

This week, I bought two bottles of red wine from fresh and easy. 
Both bottles I bought were on sale(very cheap) and the design was very cute. Since I don't have any knowledge about wines, I usually go by the price and the package design after I make sure that the wine is not too sweet.


However, my pick usually does not work well. I have found only two favorite wines so far. (Liberty creek white wine and Barefoot Bubbly Brut Cuvée)
Anyway, my pick this time was a total failure again. Both red wines had a nasty bite afterward.
So now, I have to get rid of them by cooking something with these wines.


This is one dish I made last night: Braised pork with red wine.


 
I used about half bottle of wine(combined with two) and the pork became very tender. You could easily cut and pick with a fork. 
Also, these wines brought such a great flavor to the pork!

One of the other ingredients I used is Tonkatsu sauce originated from Japan. This sauce tastes like thicker and sweeter version of Worcester sauce. It's named Tonkatsu sauce because it's great with Japanese pork cutlet(Tonkatsu). You can buy Tonkatsu sauce at amazon too.

Japanese recipe: Braised pork with red wine

*2servings


+Ingredients+
  • 1 lb pork chop end cut(fattier than center cut) or pork country-style ribs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Olive oil
  • 10oz Red wine(300ml) *I mixed half bitter and a little bit sweet red wine.
  • 1/2 cup Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Tonkatsu sauce
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon Butter
+Directions+
  1. Season pork with salt and pepper.
  2. Add olive oil in a pan and sear the surface of pork with high heat.
  3. Add red wine and cook until the wine get cooked and remained till 1/3 with medium heat.
  4. Transfer the pork(including wine)(step3) and add ketchup, Tonkatsu sauce, water, and bay leaves. Put the lid and simmer for about 90mins with low heat. Flip the meats for a few time during simmering.
  5. Add butter and stir at the end.


Tofu Recipe App for free↓

No comments:

Post a Comment