Even though red tuna(maguro) is popular among many people, I usually don't pick one to eat.
For me, the red part of maguro has a bland taste.
However, I love maguro donburi(Seasoned sushi tuna bowl).
Since the tuna is marinated in a mixture of soy sauce and mirin for a while before eating, the tuna becomes more flavorful and it goes very well with rice.
When I make this donburi, I usually buy the end cut of maguro sashimi. The quality of fish is same,however, it's a lot cheaper. Since it's usually already cut in 1 bite-sizes, all you do is marinate and serve with a bowl of rice. Easy and cheap sushi dinner at home!
Japanese recipe: Maguro donburi (Sushi tuna bowl)
- 0.3lb tuna(sashimi)(150g)
- 6 boiled large shrimp
- 2 bowls of rice(about 2/3lb(300g) for 2)
- 2 teaspoons sushi vinegar
- chopped green onions
- Wasabi(Japanese horse radish)
- 2 tablespoons Soysauce
- 1 tablespoon Mirin(sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 teaspoon konbu dashi powder or dashinomoto
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut tuna in 1 bite sizes. Chop green onions.
- Boil shrimp, peel shell, and chill.
- Combine all the marinate sauce ingredients and marinate tuna for 30mins or more.
- Pour sushi vinegar over the rice and mix.
- In a bowl, add rice,place marinated tuna and boiled shrimp, and garnish with green onions and wasabi. Pour preferable amount of marinate sauce(step3)over it or normal soy sauce.
Tofu Recipe App for free↓